Dating us military helmets
There were few alterations and adjustments made as the Army grew from a limited peacetime defense force of 100,000 men to a war-fighting force of several million men.These ranks and insignia were peculiar to the Heer and in special cases to senior Wehrmacht officers in the independent services; the SS, Luftwaffe and Navy uniforms and rank system were different.Panzertruppen were issued standard uniforms for service-dress and walking out but rarely wore them, much preferring their unique jackets. Although shown to the press, this new uniform was not provided to the unit due to the outbreak of WWII. Generalstaboffiziere were officers carefully selected and trained to represent the German General Staff Corps in both command and staff functions. All were before 1939 graduates of the Military Academy, the Kriegsakademie.In North Africa, AFV crews wore the same tropical uniform as the other branches, including collar Litzen; many tankers however pinned their Totenkopf badges to their lapels. They ranked from Hauptmann im Generalstab (captain) through Oberst i. On division staffs they held the position of Ia (operational chief of staff) or Ib (chief of the rear echelon).These skulls took the form of white-metal pins attached to black Kragenpatten which were edged in Waffenfarbe piping.In mid-1940 crews of assault guns (Sturmgeschützen) received a uniform of their own, identical in cut to the Panzerjacke but in standard field-grey, which they wore with red artillery piping.In 19th century German armies, Guard and other elite regiments wore lengths of double braid (Doppellitze) encircling all or most of the collar as a mark of distinction.
On tunics this took the form of a cloth patch about 9 cm (3⅝") wide worn on the right breast, above the pocket.On olive tropical uniforms the collar patches were tan with dull grey-blue Litzen for all personnel; officers again sometimes added their green Kragenpatten.Tropical NCO Tresse was copper-brown, or sometimes olive drab.A major exception to the wearing of collar Litzen was the "panzer wrap", the double-breasted jacket worn by crews of tanks and other armored vehicles.
When the Panzertruppe were established in 1935 they were issued a distinctive black uniform and as a badge the Totenkopf or Death's-head, versions of which had formerly been worn by the Imperial tank corps and various cavalry units.
Another version appeared with the advent of the Model 1944 Field Blouse, which used a triangular backing for speed and simplicity of manufacture.